Saturday, November 28, 2009

Doh, After Thanksgiving Doldrums

With the exception of one particularly wonderful year when I had my first baby , the first few days after Thanksgiving are always kind of apathetic.  I'm not depressed, no...I have way too much to be grateful for to be depressed.  I don't have the "blues".  There's no big letdown of wishing I had lots of money at the end of the month so I could fight the crowds at the malls.  Am I the only one who thinks it's a silly tradition to have a big sale the day after you've spent your last dime on yet more whipped cream? Why can't Black Friday come after the 3rd of the month?  Anyway, this attitude of mine is something more subtle, easily blamed onto laziness, too full of a tummy or general sloth.  It's the doldrums.




Having the doldrums is when a person is in a state of inactivity or stagnation.  It usually looks like a person is dull, listless and bored.  Hmmm.  That does sound depressing in a sense; but I stick to my premise that I'm not depressed....I merely Look like I might be.  Plus, doldrum-ishness is a very temporary state of being.  I'm sure that once I get all the tryptophan out of my system, catch up on at least one more heaven-sent nap, and start listening to my grandson sing Christmas songs, I'll snap right out of it.

I have the added bonus of being creative to drag me out of my corner of the sofa.  Colored pencils, markers and collage pieces are calling my name.  I think that instead of getting started on some Christmas-y project, I'll work on my pin-up girl project some more.  I am trying to draw in the fashion of the 1940's & 1950's pin-up girls....with the twist of having them be much thicker with more weight, curves and softness.  Sort of like a sexy me.   

Hey!  That's it.  I can feel my doldrums melting away like cheap milk chocolate.  No worries about presents and gift wrapping.  No thoughts about too much pumpkin pie with mounds of whipped cream.  Just sexy me and my creativity.  

I love the world inside my head!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment