Friday, April 2, 2010

Loss of Various Types

                               A 25 year old woman saved her children before dying in a fiery car crash on the highway here in El Paso.  The wreck occurred at the exit my daughter takes every day as she drives home from work.  Wednesday evening the front left tire of her SUV blew out & rolled onto its side and slid across three lanes before stopping.
The mother's leg was pinned in the vehicle when it caught fire. She could not escape, but her maternal instincts kicked in as she handed her two children to a man, a Good Samaritan who stopped to help.  The 8 year old is in the hospital with 3rd degree burns and the 4 year old was treated for minor injuries.
She was studying nursing in hopes of giving her family a better life.  The mother was 2 months pregnant.


While watching my grandchildren laughing and playing, I started crying at the thought of this young mother.  How will the children get over this harrowing experience?  I think about the excitement and anticipation that this little family had about the baby that would join them in a few months.  I think about how quickly it was all taken away.  Did they have big plans for Easter egg hunts? A family cookout?   I am thankful for my healthy, happy family.   And I will say extra prayers for this family tonight and many nights to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment